Why Is It Important To Perform An SEO Audit
Performing an SEO audit is a must if you’re a business owner or marketer who’s serious about improving your search engine rankings. Essentially, an SEO audit looks at how well your website has been technically optimised not just for search engines but also from the end-user perspective. Here are some critical reasons why you should perform an SEO audit for your website:
An SEO Audit enables you to identify areas for improvement on your website
Typically, the checklist for an SEO audit is exhaustive and detailed. Here are just a few aspects that get covered in an SEO audit:
- Analysing the effectiveness of your title tags, header tags, and meta tags which are the elements that ‘speak’ to your search engines about how relevant your website is.
- Optimal use and placement of keywords
- Is your website is loading fast enough? Slow website loading times can mean users bounce off your site resulting in lower rankings.
- Redirects, URL structure, canonical tags.
- The use of internal links – which is linking to pieces of content internally on your website.
An SEO Audit helps you set up a baseline for your marketing plan
Once you’ve identified the SEO weaknesses on your website, you will be in a better position to create a targeted marketing plan to plug the gaps and set goals and metrics for performance.
An SEO Audit helps you to better understand what the competition is doing
An SEO audit can also help you ‘spy’ on your competitor websites to identify the strategies that are helping them rank higher than you. For instance, you can identify the keywords they are using and which sites they’ve been sourcing their backlinks from.
Regular SEO Audits help you stay on top of frequent algorithm changes
It is no secret that search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing update their algorithms (methods by which they index sites) frequently. Regular SEO updates will help you keep track of these changes. It will also help you make use of the most current best practices that help your website rank well.
Completing an SEO audit can be a complex and time-consuming exercise. You also need to have an understanding of how to best make use of the information. It is always recommended that you make use of digital marketing expertise as opposed to going it alone.